Sindh Madressatul Islam was founded in 1885, and is one of the oldest educational institutions in South Asia.Architect was James Strachan.
It was the alma mater of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammed Ali Jinnah.
It remained as a high school till 1943, It was publicly funded at Serai Quarters, Karachi on an eight-acre estate.
In February 2013, it was chartered as a university by the Government of Sindh
Quaid-e-Azam left one-third of his personal property to Sindh Madressatul Islam in his will
The Sind Madressah-Tul-Islam, an Alma Mater of the Father of the Nation and dozens of other national leaders, who played prominent roles in the creation of Pakistan, is located on Shahrah-e-Liaquat and was the first Muslim educational complex built in Sind. The Madressah (school) was initiated on 1st Sept. 1885 in a rented two storied building near Bolton Market by K.M. Hassanally Effendi. Upon completion of this building on 14th Nov. 1890, the Madressah moved to the current premises and has functioned uninterruptedly since then. The current site itself was previously a Municipal camel camping ground (carvansarai) which was bestowed by the Karachi Municipality to the Madressah Board. The building was designed by James Strachen according to the sketches of K.B. Wali Mohammad and its foundation stone was laid by Lord Duffering on 14th Nov.1887. The total cost of construction of the main Madressah building came to Rs. 1,97,188